Kids Summer Reading - 2023
This summer we invite you to Find Your Voice! Sign up for our reading program to earn prizes for reading, participating in programs, and more!
We will have entertainers, a Whale Mobile, inside and outside events, weekly crafts, a Bad Art Show, video game design, STEAM explorations, book clubs, and story times. There are SO MANY THINGS happening at the library this summer. Learn more about the program and how to sign up below.
Welcome! Below you will find information on the Kids' Reading Program
May 27- July 21- Registration begins May 27 at 9AM.
- Register - If you have previously participated in one of our beanstack programs you will sign in (left top). If you are new to Beanstck please register yourself and then your child.
Click on this link to register or sign-in
Check out the Mobile APP
Click HERE for FAQ
- Earn Badges - You will earn badges and prizes for reading, participating in programs, completing activites such as scavenger hunts and in-library challenges, completing weekly take-home-crafts and more!
- Earn Tickets - For every badge earned you will receive a ticket. The tickets can be entered into raffles for fun, end-of-the-program prizes.
- Open to all - You do not have to be a member of the library to participate.
- Please Note - Programs take place in person (some indoors, some outdoors) and REQUIRE registration. Registration for June programs begins May 27. Registration for July programs begins June 17.
- Completion - When you complete all of the reading badges you will satisfy the requirement for completion. However, you will still earn tickets and chances to win prizes for all activities you participate in. So keep logging those activities!
- Questions? - Please call 618-632-3783 X 4 or email [email protected]
Get the Summer Reading Program Calendar HERE
Not a Kid? Checkout our Adult Challenge and/or Teen Challenge!
Why read during the summer? Educators know that children can lose knowledge over the summer, a phenomenon known as Summer Slide. Read information here:
Here are some wonderful sources for kids' books:
Summer Book Lists - ALSC - Association for Library Service to Children
Birth - Preschool - Grades K-2 - Grades 3-5 - Grades 6-8
- 100 Best Books for Young Readers - National Public Radio
- Reading Rockets Books - Booklists and Reading Resources
Best Books Archive - Bank Street College of Education
Summer Reading Lists - Horn Book Magazine
Remember Graphic Novels are REAL BOOKS! See this from Northwestern University
Bad Art Show
This year we are trying something totally different - OFPL's first ever Bad Art Show! What is a Bad Art Show you may ask? It is where you take an existing print or piece of art and "enhance" it with paint, glitter, google eyes, stickers, dry noodles, clay, glue, etc. Here are the rules:
- This event is open to all ages (children, teens, adult) but you may have only one piece of "Bad Art" per household.
- All original prints or pieces of art must be picked up from or approved by the library.
- Remember you are "enhancing" the original. Some of the original work must be visible.
- All designs must include an entry form available HERE or from Youth Services
- Entries will be judged on originality and effort
- Contest runs from May 27 - July 3 - Winners will be announced at the final show at 6:30 on July 6. You do not need to be present to win.
- The prizes will be as unique as the art. Pictures of the winners will be featured on our website and in our social media.
- All art must be picked up by July 21 or they will find a new home.