My Library's Value
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
More Stats to Consider
- Illiteracy costs Americans more than 225 billion dollars a year in lost revenue and taxes
- Over 90% of Americans believe that closing their local library would hurt their communities
- There are more libraries in the United States than Starbucks or McDonalds
- Low literacy adds $230 billion to the annual cost of delivering healthcare in the United States
- More than 172 million Americans (more than half the population) have library cards
- Millennials use libraries more than any other generation
- Students in high-poverty schools are almost twice as likely to graduate when the school library is staffed with a certified school librarian
- Research shows the highest achieving students attend schools with well-staffed and well-funded school libraries
- 98% of library funding is dependent on the will of local voters and politicians
Thank you for your support!
Famous Library Quotes
The library card is a passport to wonders and miracles, glimpses into other lives, religions, experiences, the hopes and dreams and strivings of ALL human beings, and it is this passport that opens our eyes and hearts to the world beyond our front doors, that is one of our best hopes against tyranny, xenophobia, hopelessness, despair, anarchy, and ignorance.
Bad libraries build collections, good libraries build services, great libraries build communities.
R. David Lankes
The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
I have found the most valuable thing in my wallet is my library card.
Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.
Perhaps no place in any community is so totally democratic as the town library. The only entrance requirement is interest.
Lady Bird Johnson