Apply for a Library Card
We are so excited that you are interested in getting a library card. Library cards are free to those who live within the library's taxing area since your local property taxes already support us. If you live outside of our taxing area, you may be eligible to purchase a card from us (more details found in the Who Can Get a Card? section of this page). Once you have your card, you'll be able to instantly checkout items from our digital library, login to select eResources like Ancestry and Consumer Reports, and manage your account online. This allows you to request, renew and pay late fees at your own convenience. (Note: Your PIN defaults to the last four digits of your phone number).
There are two ways to register:
- Fill out the form on this page and within moments you will receive an email with your new library card number (if approved)
- Stop in the library and visit with a friendly member of our staff
If visiting in person, please bring a photo ID and two items that show your current address (we may not need them, but it's good to have them handy just in case).
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Personal check
- Current phone, gas, electric or cable bill
- Mail postmarked within 30 days
- Bank statement
- Voter registration card
- Lease agreement
Digital versions of the above are also accepted.
Renewing Your Card
Your card is good for three years (or one year for a non-resident card). When the time comes to renew, simply provide the necessary documentation, just as when you initially got your card. We use this as an opportunity to update details like your address, phone number, email address.
Need to renew now? Fill out this brief form and one of our excellent team members will follow up with you.
Who Can Get a Card?
The O’Fallon Public Library is locally funded by property taxes paid by persons who live or own property within the library's taxing area. If you live within or own real estate within this area, your taxes support the library and a card will be issued at no charge. This is known as a Resident Card. Resident cards are good for three years.
If you live outside the O’Fallon city limits and do not fall under another public library's taxing area, you can purchase a Non-Resident Card. Non-Resident fees are calculated using a tax bill method. If you own your home, the fee is determined by the following formula: Cost = Net Taxable Value x 0.1643%. If you are a renter, the annual fee is simply one-tenth of your monthly rent.
- For a home with a $38,000 Net Taxable Value, a library card would cost $62 annually
- For a renter who pays $800 per month, a library card would cost $80 annually
How do I know if I'm covered?
Check to see if you live within our library's taxing area by entering your address into the map tool. If you are in the Blue Zone, you are in.
Alternatively, you can visit the St. Clair County Clerk's website and search for your tax bill. If you have the line item CITY OF O FALLON LIB, you are in.
Tax Bill Examples
Note: If you are covered by another library, as in Example 3, contact that library and inquire about the steps needed to get a card.
There is no minimum age to obtain a card. Children aged 15 and younger may obtain a card with the permission of a parent or legal guardian. Patrons aged 16 and older are eligible to obtain a card without a parent if a valid ID and proof of residency are provided.
What Can I Check Out?
Note: All items checkout for 3 weeks unless otherwise noted. Each O'Fallon Public Library card can have up to 75 items checked out at a time.
|General Items||Borrow Limit|
|Books||Up to 75|
|Audiobooks and CDs||20|
|Magazines||Up to 75|
|ebooks and Digital Audiobooks||Varies by platform|
* 1 week checkout
** 3 day checkout
* Items in this category are restricted to Adult cards only. A card can have a total of three items from this catgeory checked out at a time
** Can be checked out using any card (Adult restriction does not apply)
* Items in this category are restricted to Adult cards only. A card can have a total of three items from this category checked out at a time
|Kits and Board Games*|
|Board Games (coming soon)|
* A card can have a total of three items from this category checked out at a time
|Dry Erase Markers|
* Items in this category can only be used in the library and are due back by close each day
** Adult cards only